At Natural Supply Co, we really care about the planet, and we continually strive to reduce our environmental footprint and tread lightly on the earth.
Here are some of the things we have implemented to help with this:
- We reuse as much packaging we receive from our suppliers as possible. All packing beans are reused (plus they are biodegradable and compostable), we reuse boxes whenever possible, as well as bubble wrap: in fact, since our launch in 2014, we have never purchased bubble wrap!
- We get extra packing beans from local shops, so they are not throwing them out and we are not purchasing new materials.
- We use Australia Post MyPost Business to send the majority of our parcels, which is a carbon neutral service.
- We offer a TerraCycle program for oral care products (toothbrushes, toothpaste and dental floss canisters), skincare, hair aerosol cans and pens. Please ensure these containers are empty and clean. We also collect Dirt Laundry Liquid bags to return to Dirt to be refilled. Customers are welcome to bring any of these items into our store (at 5 Rutland St, Newtown VIC 3220) to be properly recycled. In 2022, we sent over 25kgs of personal care products to Terracycle to save them from landfill.
- We give away as many big stock boxes as we can to locals who are moving, instead of sending them straight to be recycled.
- We pay a fee to Terracycle to recycle all of our soft plastics.
We are approached pretty much daily with requests for donations and sponsorships. We love to give back to the local community and women in particular, through our charity partnerships. We have committed to assisting the following not-for-profits:
- Share the Dignity: We donate several bags to the Share the Dignity It's in the Bag Christmas campaign every year, and we are now also a collection site for the Dignity Drive every March so that donated sanitary items can be distributed to girls and women who just don't have access to pads and tampons. You can find out more here.
- Geelong Mums: We support Geelong Mums by donating $1 from every order in the week leading up to Mothers' Day. We also personally donate to the cause wherever we can; Geelong Mums does incredible work, to support the most vulnerable mums and kids in our community.
- Geelong Community Foundation: We are annual members of Geelong Community Foundation's P500 campaign, to help raise $250,000 for community grants.
- Feed Me Geelong: We support Feed Me Geelong by donating $1 from every order for the week leading up to Christmas to help them provide nutritious and hearty meals for those going without over the Christmas season.
Pay the Rent
Natural Supply Co operates on land where sovereignty was never ceded by our First Nations People. As such, we commit to paying the equivalent of 1% of our rent to Pay the Rent in solidarity with the Aboriginal people of Victoria, in an ongoing effort to provide practical means for economic independence and to recognise Aboriginal Sovereignty.
We donated almost $20,000 to the following charities: Feed Me Geelong, Orange Sky, Geelong Mums, Share the Dignity, Justice for Cassius, Asylum Seekers Resource Centre, Carrie's Beanies for Brain Cancer, Stars Foundation, Liptember, Barwon Health Community Foundation, Geelong Community Foundation and Thread Together - sending thousands of dollars of clothes to the flood victims in Queensland - as well as supporting a bunch of local school and charity fundraisers.