Spring and the blossoms are here which signals us to start getting all Marie Kondo on our beauty cabinets by decluttering and freshening up our beauty routines. We have different skincare needs depending on the seasons so it makes sense to change it up. Here are some easy ways to get that spring clean feeling.
- Swap out your winter moisturiser for something lighter. Now is the time to stop slathering your winter snakeskin with those oil-based creams and change to something lighter eg a gel-based moisturiser like ECO Modern Essentials Tea Tree Moisturising Gel.
- Choose a lighter shade of foundation to rejoice in the sun providing less looking-in-the-mirror-seeing-ghost-face moments and more I’ve-been-wintering-in-St. Barts glow. You could switch to a tinted moisturiser like my favourite Madara Sunflower Golden Beige Tinted Moisturiser or do what Celeste does which is mixing a bit of moisturiser with her La Mav BB cream in her palm before applying to her face. BB creams are great as they give you sun protection along with a light coverage, keeping your skin protected and looking dewy and natural.
- Check all the use-by dates on your beauty products. Water-based makeup like mascara and liquid eyeliner have a short shelf-life as they can harbour bacteria and nobody wants Staphylococcus-coated eyelashes. Replace every 4 or so months. Lipsticks and lip glosses last longer - 6 months for lip gloss and up to a year for lipsticks. You can use powder-based products for 18 months to 2 years. If anything has a funny smell or the colour has changed, throw it out.
- Clean or update your make up brushes and sponges. These can also be breeding grounds for nasties and keeping them clean will also make them last longer. Most makeup experts recommend washing brushes once a month apart from brushes used for eyes, which should be cleaned fortnightly. I like to use Bondi Wash Baby Wash to gently clean my brushes and then I let them air dry on a clean hand towel. If you need to update we have a great range of vegan brushes. Check them out here.
- Update your colour palette to reflect the warmer weather. Spring is a great time to change your makeup colours. Think bronzers like Inika's Baked Mineral Bronzer in Sunkissed which you can wear over your foundation or BB cream or on clean skin for a fresh 'no makeup' look. We also love Inika's Organic Eye Shadow Creme in Pink Cloud to bring a hint of spring shimmer to the eyes. I have just bought the Bite Beauty Multistick in Macaroon which is a deep, dusty rose and will be my go-to lipstick for the warmer months. It is such a beautiful colour and the best thing about the multisticks is that they are made up of 35% powder meaning they are long-wearing and can be used on lips, cheeks and eyes. The ultimate multi tasker!
Love Sarah x