As autumn turns to winter, and chilly mornings don't turn into sunny afternoons, but rather wet, wild and dark days - it's time to pull out our favourite winter woollens and boots, and prep them for a new season of wear.
Our top five tips to prepare your wardrobe (and life!) for the cooler weather:
1. Wash or refresh your woollens and cashmere pieces
They've been stored in the cupboard and are likely a bit musty. Luckily it's super easy to refresh your delicates with The Laundress Wool & Cashmere Spray: it has a nontoxic formula with anti-bacterial properties, that adds scent while removing odour. Spray to freshen jumpers, suits, coats, hats, and blankets between washes. A natural moth repellent, this spray works great for closets, drawers, and long-term storage. Ideal for items labeled “dry clean.” Combining sandalwood, orange, and rose with a base of cedar, this sweet and spicy blend naturally repels moths and critters.
3. Switch to a cream cleanser and a richer moisturiser or serum
As the weather cools, wind increases and heater temperatures soar, our skin needs a little extra TLC. It's a good idea to switch to a cream cleanser and add in a hydrating serum, or use a more nourishing moisturiser, to ensure your skin gets the extra hydration it needs.
Our top picks?
- Clemence Organics Refining Cleanser: designed to be applied to dry skin and washed off with warm water. It has been formulated by Naturopath Bridget Carmady, with certified organic rose otto at its core, to enhance beauty without compromise. Anti-ageing botanicals hydrate, nourish and rejuvenate skin, while skin repair oils assist with sun damage, scarring and pigmentation.
- Jacqueline Evans Argan & Rosehip Moisturising Cream: helps to fight signs of ageing with Centella oil, an important rejuvenating agent, while Alpha Linolenic acid and other essential fatty acids assist lubrication. Vitamins and rich herbals also aid antioxidant activity and soften and rehydrate dry skin.
- MADARA SOS Hydra Repair Intensive Serum: a professional-strength serum created to restore deep layers of moisture and balance to stressed and dehydrated skin. Scientifically proven to increase dermal water reservoirs and protect the skin from free radical damage, MADARA SOS Hydra Repair Intensive Serum combines a moisturising blend of Northern peony, linseed and hyaluronic acid to absorb quickly for long-lasting results.
4. Invest in a heavy duty hand and body lotion
It's not just the skin on your face that dries out in winter!
Our top picks:
- Clemence Organics Ultimate Hand & Body Lotion: packed full of essential fatty acids, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, this lightly-scented lotion contains the regenerative benefits of organic rosehip, calendula and shea nut oils, combined with aloe vera to soothe inflammation and allow this super-lotion to absorb quickly, leaving skin feeling soft and hydrated without any greasy residue.
- Salus Calendula & Shea Butter Hydrating Body Cream: combines a restorative blend to intensely nourish and protect the body. It is formulated with moisturising extracts of hydrating shea butter, healing calendula, protective sweet almond, soothing chamomile and softening jojoba.
- The Great State Soothing Skin Balm: an all-rounder, this tub of goodness can also be used on lips, scrapes, insect bites, eczema and more. We think everyone should have a tub.
5. Don't forget your reusable coffee cup!
We are all sooo much more likely to crave a restorative hot beverage on a cold and miserable day - so it's important to remember our reusable Frank Green or JOCO Cups so that we can avoid takeaway cups at every opportunity. Down with single use plastic!